What is VideoTrainear?
VideoTrainear is Video + Audio + Text + Game = unique tool that enhances your listening comprehension, reading and spelling skills while watching favourite movies in any language you might want to learn.
The idea is simple but very powerful: the software works like a word puzzle solving game where you a) listen to the phrase from the movie in a foreign language and b) try to complete the right sentence out of mixed words.
Completed right sentence
- Repetitive looping of each phrase: it will be repeated until you make it complete.
- Possibility to choose any movie you like on any languages you want. The software needs only subtitles and the videofile containing audio track.
- Gaming approach: click your mouse on the words to put them into correct place as you continually hear the phrase. When the passage is complete, the software goes to the next one while adding you gained skill points. Afterwards, you may publish your results on the internet and show them to your friends, or even FL teachers.
- Several difficulty modes: for beginners, for intermediate users and for pros. You may also switch to mother-tongue subtitles to view the translation or just watch a movie in a standard browsing mode when you feel tired.
- Excellent practical tool at foreign languages classes, particularly for audition, listening comprehension, spelling and pronunciation exercises or even for FL exams preparation.
- Web dictionary support: just ctrl-click your mouse on an unknown word and you'll be linked to an online/offline dictionary page with translation. This is especially helpful for beginners.
Unique learning technique
VideoTrainear tool is based on the very effective technique called "Matrix Language Learning".
The strongest matrix effect is reached by combination of three channels of perception - visual perception (facial expressions, lips moving, surrounding context), pronunciation (especially if the phrases are said by native speakers) and reading (foreign and mother tongue subtitles). The only method with similar effect might be immersion into language environment.
Constant repetition intensifies the effect: 1) words, phrases and their audial characteristics become imprinted into hearer's memory, and 2) stable memory associations are set for unfamiliar foreign words. Moreover, gaming principle and personal user preferences in selection of video material allows to maintain high interest in the process.
Rephrasing the popular proverb 'business before pleasure' VideoTrainear says: 'business with pleasure'.
Tips for better use
- For beginners it is recommended to choose simple video material (popular educational programs, comedies, cartoons) featuring clear pronunciation of words and relatively low speed of speech. This will allow users to catch the words and all the details of pronunciation which is crucial on initial stage. As you improve your comprehension skills, you may move on to the more complex genres (thrillers, dramas, serials, political, musicals, etc) where speech may be either fast or complicated (non-natives, drunk, children, elderly speakers).
- Choose movies or excerpts with minimal soundtrack and background noise.
- Choose movies which you really like and appreciate.
- Good idea is to watch favourite serials with 1-week period episodes. This time usually is just enough to solve a standard 40 minutes episode in a study mode.
- During the study it is better to minimize the use of other languages so that the mind is totally focused on the priority language.
- Operating system: Microsoft Windows XP or later, DirectX9 installed.
- Graphics processor: any DirectX9/HiColor/TrueColor supported. Weak or integrated graphics processors are not recommended for the software may require high capacity of RAM-VRAM.
- Mouse/touch-screen, keyboard. Using TouchPad is possible, but may be not too comfortable.
- Formats of media files: .avi, .wmv, .mp4,. mkv and others depending on DirectShow supported codecs.
- Subtitle formats: .srt (.sub - partly, dvd-subs are not supported).
- Sound system: speakers or headphones.
- Subtitle Language: any supported by Operating System or via Unicode or CodePage.
- Interface languages: English.
The license for the program is assigned to Shareware class. You may use the unregistered version for evaluation purposes within 7 days. After expiration of trial period the software shall be removed.